Lojong Cards and Booklet

Lojong Cards and Booklet
This self-published deck and booklet are the intellectual property of Beverly King. Please do not copy or reproduce any photos or blog posts without permission.

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Slogan Forty-eight

Train without bias in all areas.
From the Lojong for the Layperson booklet: 
           Humans are apt to put labels on everything. Our work week might be stamped "boring" while the weekend is labeled "fun." We might call one group of folks "judgmental" and another crowd "understanding." These labels clearly define who or what we prefer, yet this slogan tells us to train without such preferences. Tonglen meditation isn't just for the people we love and care about. The lojong slogans aren't meant to be picked through like a Russell Stover's box of chocolates, taking only those we like. If we are committed to our practice, we'll have no times, places or people who are off limits.
Photo: A retaining wall divides land from lake.

            When I was in my thirties, I became a spiritual seeker. I was a participant of many weekend seminars on subjects ranging from kabbalah to drumming circles. Amazon was constantly delivering books that covered a wide variety of philosophies and religions. I sought out discussions with people whose practices were divergent from my own. I thoroughly enjoyed the learning process, but the knowledge I acquired rarely left my reading chair or the venue of the seminar. My ego expanded but my spiritual practice did not.  Consequently, my attitude and lifestyle changed very little. The forty-eighth slogan is a nudge to actively apply lojong - in all situations with all people. Every moment of my life is a suitable arena for mind training. Instead of a weekend hobby, the slogans can become a way to live with compassion and awareness.

No comments:

Post a Comment