Lojong Cards and Booklet

Lojong Cards and Booklet
This self-published deck and booklet are the intellectual property of Beverly King. Please do not copy or reproduce any photos or blog posts without permission.

Sunday, November 2, 2014

Slogan One

First, train in the preliminaries.
From the Lojong for the Layperson booklet:
                The preliminaries remind us of the human condition and inspire us to begin and sustain our practice. The first slogan is a foundation for all the rest, and is built on the Four Reflections:
·         The preciousness of human life.
·         The truth of impermanence (change) and the inevitability of death.
·         Thoughts, words and actions have consequences (cause and effect).
·         A repetitive cycle of suffering caused by a constant search for security.
The only adequate response is a practice that will allow us to develop wisdom, compassion and resilience –training to strengthen the mind and heart.
Photo: Nest among a tangle of Confederate jasmine in bloom.

       I recently put together a baby swing for our new grandson. When I pulled all the many pieces and screws out of the box, I had no desire to sort all the parts and read the directions. I just wanted to put the swing together as quickly as possible. That's my natural response - just get it done. But without understanding the directions, I doubt the swing would have worked the way it was designed. I couldn't jump from the first step to the last successfully. In the same way, I need to ground myself in the Four Reflections before I dive into the rest of the slogans. Once I begin to comprehend them and apply them, I can "hatch out" and move on the the next slogan.

No comments:

Post a Comment